U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Plant Maintenance Assistant (OA) in Peoria, Illinois
Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is one of the best! In 2016, USACE ranked number two of government large-agency subcomponents! As rated by their employees, USACE supervisors strongly support employee development and opportunities to demonstrate leadership skills, while also maintaining an optimal work/life balance. The Corps offers a team-inspiring and collaborative work environment; providing challenging and rewarding careers across a variety of disciplines. Follow this link for more information about the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is an innovative, transformative organization providing engineering solutions to customers worldwide. Working at the Corps as a civilian employee means making a direct contribution to war fighters and their families; supporting overseas contingency operations; developing technology and systems that save the lives of soldiers and civilians; providing disaster relief; and protecting and enhancing the environment and the national economy.
About the Position:As a Plant Maintenance Assistant (OA) you will be working in Maintenance Section located in Peoria, Illinois. Located on the banks of the Illinois River, Peoria, Illinois is a thriving community of over 112,000 people. The Illinois Waterway Project Office is located at 257 Grant Street in Peoria. For more information on Peoria, visit www.peoria.org
Who May Apply:
Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Civilian Employee with the Department of the Army
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) - Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Current Permanent Federal Civilian Employee (non-DOD)
- Former Federal Employee, eligible for reinstatement
- Eligible due to Interagency Career Transition Program (ICTAP)
- Eligible under Veterans' Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA)
- Veterans with a service-connected disability of 30% or more
- Eligible for military spouse preference under Executive Order 13473
- Priority Placement Program, Program S (Military Spouse) registrants referred through the Automated Stopper and Referral System (ASARS) for this position
- Eligible for family member appointment under Executive Order 12721
- Eligible for NAF/AAFES Interchange Agreement
- Eligible due to an Interchange Agreement
- Eligible for Persons with Disabilities
As a Plant Maintenance Assistant (OA), you will:
- Serve as timekeeper and/or alternate timekeeper for other staff in coordination with Human Resources Office and Resource Management Office relative to payroll and leave administration problems. Monitors annual and sick leave usage and advises Section Chief on status of leave balances to include "use or lose" leave status of all employees.
- Serve as office expert in travel issues, regularly coordinating with Resource Management, Internal Review Office, and Finance Center to ensure that all travel transactions are being processed in compliance with existing travel regulations and local policies.
- Perform a variety of purchasing and property control duties, as required, in support of shop activities involving small purchases in excess of $300,000 average annually.
- Provide general guidance and direction of a practical and technical nature for lower-graded office staff assigned to perform a variety of duties in support of office administrative functions.
- Occasional Travel
- 10% for business and training
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Typing Proficiency Requirement: This position requires a qualified typist. A qualified typist is defined as typing 40 words per minute based on a 5 minute sample with 3 or fewer errors.
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To Qualify for the GS-5: 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-04 or equivalent level in the Federal service. This experience is defined as: analyze problems, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions; plan and organize work; and communicate effectively orally and in writing. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-04).
Education substitution for specialized experience: 4 years of post-high school education from an accredited college or university. (NOTE: You must attach a copy of your transcripts for verification.)
Combination of education and experience: If you have more than two years (60 semester hours) of post-high school education as described above, but less than four years and have some specialized experience as described above, but less than 1 year, you can substitute a combination of education and experience to meet the specialized experience requirement. To calculate the percentage, compute your total qualifying experience as a percentage of the experience required; then determine your education as a percentage of the education required; and then add the two percentages. NOTE: One full year of academic study or 30 semester hours beyond the two years is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience. (You must attach a copy of your transcripts for verification.)
Time-In-Grade Requirement for GS-05 level: Current Federal Employees may be advanced without time restriction to positions up to the GS-05 level if the position to be filled is no more than two grades above the lowest grade the employee held within the preceding 52 weeks under his or her latest nontemporary competitive appointment.
To Qualify for the GS-6: 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 or equivalent level in the Federal service. This experience is defined as: utilizing computer systems to process budgetary information and assist in maintaining accountable property records. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-05).
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the GS-05 grade (or equivalent).
To Qualify for the GS-7: 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06 or equivalent level in the Federal service. This experience is defined as: experience in performing assisting in the administration of service contracts, providing practical and technical guidance to lower-graded office staff, and working with vendors to resolve payment and billing problems. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-06).
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the GS-06 grade (or equivalent). There is no education substitution for the GS-06 and GS-07 levels.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Skill in Office Management
- Knowledge of Funding/Budget
- Skill in Administrative Duties
- Knowledge of Procurement
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- This position requires a qualified typist. Must be able to type 40 words per minute based on a 5 minute sample with 3 or fewer errors.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local market supplement.
- This position is in Career Program # 51.
- For your information, you may also be eligible to apply under the External Vacancy Announcement posted for this position. Please access the USAJOBS website and search for the following vacancy announcement which is opened to U.S. Citizens for the same position during the same time frame: SWGIRI171365461985563D
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/474146100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-07-12 to 2017-07-24
Salary: $32,844 to $52,893 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 05 - 07
Series: 0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full Time
Job announcement number: SWGIRI171365461985363
Control number: 474146100